Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Killer Dolphin

by Ngaio Marsh

This is not really a review. I read the book quite a while ago, and just came across some notes. I remember it was a pretty good mystery plot -- but what I particularly noticed was the vocabulary. Here is a list of the words or phrases I either wanted to look up at the time or which particularly "caught my fancy."

p. 36 - caryatid (a sculptured female figure used as a column)
p. 41 - myrmidon (a person who executes without question or scruple a master's commands)
p. 19 - obsequiously gabbled (obediently uttered rapidly and unintelligibly)
p. 21 - a tightly encased lady
p. 30, 32 - gauntlet in a glove (a medieval glove, as of mail or plate)
p. 42 - get the glove vetted (appraised)
p. 43 - hinterland of approaches (the remote or less developed parts of a country)
p. 54 - bouncing cetaceans ( Any of various aquatic, chiefly marine mammals of the order Cetacea, including the whales, dolphins, and porpoises). To do with, I suppose, the title of the book.

Note to self: Have a dictionary handy when you read Ngaio Marsh!

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Had to chuckle here, Cheryl... I have ALL of Ms. Marsh's books... and never once used a dictionary! LOL! Not because I have such a wide vocabulary, but because I simply inferred a meaning from the context... and went on. Too lazy to look up anything!