Saturday, February 21, 2009

Colossians 3

Colossians 3
1-17 The New Life in Christ
  • If you have been raised with Christ (reference back to 2:12), be spiritually minded, thinking of heavenly, not earthly things. This is timely for me. Just this morning I was trying to decide on my focus right now. I'm trying to accomplish too many things at once, which tends to immobilize, not energize me. So does this mean I spend all day reading the Bible and praying while neglecting other goals? Just what do "seeking" and "setting the mind on" things above mean as I rise in the morning and plan my day? At the very least, it would mean morning prayer and some reminder – which could be Bible reading – of who I am and to whom I belong, and of my duty to put others before myself.
  • At baptism, you died and were buried and resurrected not as yourself but as Christ – he is your life. If I don't know the intimate details of his life – how he handled relationships and responsibilities – how can he be my life?
  • Put to death sins of the flesh (from fornication to greed) which God will punish. This answers some of what it is to be spiritually rather than earthly minded.
  • Get rid of anger...lying, because your old self has been replaced with a new one, which is "being renewed in knowledge," where there is no difference between Greek and Jew, slave and free.
  • Clothe yourself with worthy personal attributes, with loving and forgiving relationships, ruled by the peace of Christ, thankful.
  • Let the word of Christ live in you, resulting in building each other up with words and songs.
  • Do everything in the name of Christ.
Note: Verses 5-17 answer my question at the beginning of the chapter: Just what does it mean in a practical way to seek things that are above? Turns out to be a long list of shedding our desires for sin and increasing Christ-like attributes. As I become the right person, I will do the right things.

3:18-4:1 Rules for Christian Households
  • Wives are to be subject to their husbands, husbands are to love their wives, children are to obey their parents, fathers are not to provoke their children.
  • Slaves are to do their work obediently, in fear of the Lord, as conscientious as if they were working directly for God, who is not partial.
  • Masters are to treat their slaves fairly, being mindful of their Master in heaven.

No comments: