Saturday, February 14, 2009

Isaiah 65-66

Isaiah 65
1-16 The Righteousness of God's Judgment

1-6 [God's Answer to Isaiah:] I was here for my people, but they were rebellious. They:
  • followed their own devices
  • provoked me to my face, sacrificing in gardens and offering incense on bricks
  • sat inside tombs, spent the night in secret places, ate swine's flesh
  • said "Do not come near me, for I am too holy for you."
  • are a smoke in my nostrils, and I will not keep silent, but will repay their iniquities
8-12 But for the sake of those who are still faithful, I will not destroy all of Israel; my chosen will inherit my mountain. But you who forsake me (who "set a table for Fortune and fill cups of mixed wine for Destiny") are destined to the sword because when I called, you did not answer. A clever play on words, even in English. It's like he's saying: You like fortunetelling? I'll tell you your fortune!
13-14 My servants will eat, drink and rejoice while you are hungry, thirsty and put to shame.
15-16 Your name will be a curse, and I will give my servants a new name. They will bless by my name and will take oaths by my name. The former troubles will be forgotten.

17-25 The Glorious New Creation

17-19 I will create "a new heavens and a new earth; the former things shall not be remembered...no more shall the sound of weeping be heard in it." We see these phrases repeated in 2 Peter 3:13 and Revelation 21:1-4, respectively. Isaiah's prophecy could refer to the New Testament church; the New Testament passages to the heavenly Jerusalem. Whichever it is, something better is coming for those who are faithful to God.
20-25 A description of that better place:
  • People will live longer
  • They will build houses and vineyards for their own benefit
  • They and their descendants will be blessed by the LORD.
  • The wolf and lamb shall feed together
  • No hurt or destruction will be on my holy mountain.
Note: Sounds like an ideal place, doesn't it? One we would all want on this earth right now. That desire may be why so many have invented an earthly kingdom ruled from Jerusalem with these attributes when Christ comes again. In order to work out the details, they come up with some amazing scenarios that don't make any sense in light of the passages that are clear about the finality of judgment and Christ's and the apostles' constant emphasis on the spiritual over the physical.

Isaiah 66
1-4 The Worship God Demands

Note: This subtitle is supplied by the publishers of the Bible I'm using. The word "demand" reminds me of an article I read years ago that in part explained why some don't acknowledge God. They resent his "demand" that people worship him, making him appear not benevolent but arrogant. I've come to believe that many who call themselves atheists or agnostics refuse God not because he's not there but because they just don't like him. And, rightly so, they don't like the unreasonable demands some of us who believe place on those around us. Often, in our misguided fervor, we become demanding and arrogant without the balance of unconditional love, mercy and forgiveness that define God.

1-2 "Thus says the LORD; Heaven is my throne and the earth is my footstool." No earthly house you can build is worthy of that; what I look for are the humble and contrite in spirit. Stephen referred back to this scripture in his speech, in Acts 7:49.
3-4 I will not accept the sacrifices of those who have chosen their own way (their slaughtering an ox is like murdering a human), because when I called they did not answer, when I spoke, they did not listen. I will bring upon them what they fear.

5-13 The LORD Vindicates Zion

5
Those of you who tremble at my word will be rejected and mocked by your own people, but they will be put to shame.
6 You can hear the voice of the LORD in the temple dealing retribution to his enemies.
7-9 Jerusalem will deliver a son as soon as she is in labor; a land will be born in a day. After consulting with a couple of commentaries, I can see how this can refer both to the return from Babylonian captivity – which was done peacefully and quickly, even with the help of the captor nation – and to the birth of the new nation on the Day of Pentecost, when 3000 souls responded to the gospel in Jerusalem.
10-11 Rejoice with Jerusalem and be nourished and nurtured by her.
12-13 I will make her prosperous and will comfort you in Jerusalem.

14-24 The Reign and Indignation of God

14-16 Everyone will see that "the hand of the LORD is with his servants, and his indignation is against his enemies."
17 Those who defile themselves by eating unclean animals will come to an end together.
18-21 I come to gather all nations and tongues, and they will go out to the nations and declare my glory, and all nations will come to my holy mountain Jerusalem and I will take some of them as priests and Levites. I can't read this without thinking of the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2) and the subsequent evangelism that begins in Acts 8.
22-23 For as the new heavens and earth shall remain, so shall your descendants and name.
24 And they will look on the bodies of those who rebelled against me, "for their worm shall not die, their fire shall not be quenched." This is quoted by Jesus in Mark 9:48 to condemn those who would allow their eye to cause them to stumble. What a way to end the book, with a curse on those who rebel against God! As tender as he is with those who submit themselves to him, he is tough on those who refuse to acknowledge his power.

No comments: