Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Revelation 2

The Message to Ephesus

1 The words of Him Who:

  1. holds the seven stars (the seven angels) in his right hand (1:16);
  2. walks among the seven golden lampstands (1:12, the seven churches – 1:20).

2-6 What I know:

  1. Your works, toil, and patient endurance
  2. Your intolerance of evildoers, testing and discovering false apostles
  3. How you endure patiently for me, not growing weary
  4. That you hate the work of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. (The People’s New Testament states this probably refers to the followers of a man named Nicolaus who taught that Christian liberty meant license to commit sensual sins. John Gill cites Lightfoot’s suggestion that their name comes from a Greek word meaning “Let us eat,” encouraging each other to eat meats offered to idols.

But: You have abandoned your first love. Christians in Ephesus were doing so many things right, but they had lost their "first love." Doctrinally they were right, but their fervor came from being right, not from loving others.

Remember: From what you have fallen, repent, and return.

Or Else: I will remove your lampstand.

7 Let anyone who will hear, listen! Reminiscent of Jesus’ teaching in many of his sermons: Matthew 11:15; 13:9; 13:43

Reward: Permission to eat from the tree of life in the paradise of God.

The Message to Smyrna

8 The words of the:

  1. first and the last (1:17)
  2. the one who was dead and came to life (1:18).

9-12 What I know:

  1. Your afflictions and poverty, though you are rich
  2. The way you’re slandered by false Jews and the synagogue of Satan

But: Do not fear what you are about to suffer. The devil will imprison you and you will suffer for 10 days. I think this is the first reference to a time span. Ray Summers, in Worthy is the Lamb, explains that the number “10” stands for human completeness. In this context, then (I think), the 10 days would indicate a definite period of time – one with a definite beginning and end.

Remember: Be faithful until death. This could mean “be faithful until the end of your life,” or “be willing to die for your faith.”

11 Let anyone who will hear, listen!

Rewards: The crown of life, and free from harm by the second death.

The Message to Pergamum

12 The words of him who has the sharp two-edged sword (1:16):

13-15 What I know:

  1. You are living where Satan’s throne is, yet:
  2. You are holding fast my name
  3. You did not deny me even when faithful Antipas was killed.

But:

  1. Some of you hold to Balaam’s teaching, who caused Israel to stumble through idolatry.
  2. Some of you follow the teachings of the Nicolaitans.

Repent or Else: I will fight them (the Nicolaitans?) with the sword of my mouth.

17 Let anyone who will hear, listen!

Rewards:

  1. I will give them hidden manna;
  2. I will give them a white stone with a new name, known only to recipients.

Message to Thyatira

18 The words of Him who has flaming eyes and burnished bronze feet (1:14,15).

19 What I know:

  1. Your works – your love, faith, service, and patient endurance
  2. Your last works are greater than the first.

20-23 But:

  1. You tolerate “that woman” Jezebel, who beguiles my servants to fornicate and eat food sacrificed to idols. Christ gives this woman the same name as the evil wife of King Ahab of Israel (1 Kings 21:23-25).
  2. She refuses to repent, so I will distress those who commit adultery with her, and I will kill her children.
  3. All the churches will know that I can read their minds and hearts and will repay your works.

24-28 But:

  1. I won’t lay that burden on you who do not follow Satan.
  2. Hold fast to what you have until I come.

I promise:

  1. To give the faithful authority over the nations, to rule with an iron rod
  2. To give the faithful the morning star (an identity of Jesus, Revelation 22:16).

29 Let anyone who will hear, listen!

No comments: