Friday, September 28, 2012

Revelation 3

The Message to Sardis

1 The words of Him Who:

  1. Has the seven spirits of God (1:4)
  2. And the seven stars (1:20).

2 What I know:

  1. Your works
  2. You have a reputation for being alive, but
  3. You are dead.

3 What you need to do:

  1. Wake up!
  2. Strengthen what’s left and is about to die
  3. Remember what you have received and heard
  4. Obey and repent
  5. If you don’t, I will come like a thief.

4-5 But

  1. Some of you have not soiled your clothes
  2. They will walk with me, dressed in white
  3. If you conquer,
    1. You will also be dressed in white, and
    2. I will not blot out your names from the book of life
    3. I will confess your name before my Father and his angels

6 Let anyone who will hear, listen! It seems that Sardis’s main problem was lethargy, which was not only causing inaction. Such inaction was either regarded as sin or caused over sin (they had soiled their robes). That’s not they way they were taught.

Message to Philadelphia

7 The words of the:

  1. Holy one, the true one
  2. He who has the key of David (1:18 – the keys of Death and Hades)
  3. He who opens and no one shuts, shuts and no one opens

8 I know

  1. Your works, and I have opened a door no one can shut
  2. You have little power, yet you have kept my word

9-11 Therefore:

  1. I will make those of the synagogue of Satan bow before you. (Same expression used in 2:9, where it says they slandered the Christians.) 
  2. I will keep you from the hour of trial.
  3. Hold fast, for I am coming soon.

12 If you conquer:

  1. I will make you a pillar in God’s temple.
  2. I will write on you the name of God and God’s city, and my new name.

13 Let anyone who will hear, listen!

Message to Laodicea

14 The words of the:

  1. Amen
  2. Faithful and true witness
  3. Origin of God’s creation

15-17 I know your works:

  1. You are lukewarm, therefore
  2. I will spit you out of my mouth.
  3. You say you are rich, but you’re poor and wretched

18-19 Therefore:

  1. I advise you to buy gold from me
  2. Buy white clothes from me to hide your nakedness
  3. Buy salve so you can see
  4. I discipline those I love

20-21 Listen! I stand at the door and knock. Hear me, and I will live with you. Conquer, and you will sit with me on my throne.

22 Let anyone who will hear, listen!

No comments: