Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Zechariah 13

Mourning for the Pierced One

(cont’d from Chapter 12)

1 On that day a fountain will cleanse the house of David.

2-9 Idolatry Cut Off

2-3 The LORD will cut off the false prophets; even their parents will “pierce them through” if they dare to prophesy again.

4-6 They will admit they’re not prophets, and when asked about their wounds, they will identify them as the wounds they received in “the house of my friends.”

7-9 The Shepherd Struck, the Flock Scattered

7 Sword, strike the shepherd, that the sheep may be scattered. This is fulfilled in Christ in Matthew 26:31-32 when Jesus’ followers desert him after his arrest.

31 Then Jesus said to them, "You will all become deserters because of me this night; for it is written, "I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.'”

8-9 I will cut off two-thirds of the sheep, and test the other third with fire, refining them as gold; they will call on my name, and I will answer them. Commentators apply this to the destruction of Jerusalem by Titus, where most Judeans were destroyed, but a remnant, followers of Christ, were saved.

No comments: